Twitter

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Alabama Attorney General Bill Baxley vs the KKK #BlackHistoryMonth2016

Forty Years ago this week, a democratic Attorney General in Sweet Home Alabama cared more about doing his job, than keeping his job.   That Democratic Attorney General was Bill Baxley.



In 1970, Bill Baxley became the youngest person in the United States to hold a state attorney generalship. Within one week of being sworn in as Attorney General of Alabama, 29-year-old Baxley reopened the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. “Now I could do what I had sworn to do,” he remembers thinking. “Within two months in office I had set one goal for myself: to solve that bombing case.”
 

As you can imagine the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) wasn't to happy with Bill Baxley.  Our rich southern history teaches us the worst thing you can do is stand up for the rights of black folks. 
 the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) dubbed Alabama’s then-attorney general an “honorary nigger” and basically threatened to kill him. 29-year-old AG Billy Baxley promptly issued his response on official State of Alabama letterhead: “kiss my ass.”



Former Democratic Attorney General Bill Baxley is one of the unsung heroes who need to be acknowledged for their contributions during #BlackHistoryMonth. Not only did he get justice for the victims of the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing, he appointed the state's first African American assistant attorney general, Myron Thompson, who later became a U.S. District Judge.

Again
the reason I oppose the republican party has nothing to do with me being a democrat, and I don't oppose republicans just to support democrats. I oppose republicans because the people who perpetrated the 16th Street Baptist Church bombings and other terrorist acts joined the GOP.
RedEye

No comments: